Michael Skelly is the Founder and President of Clean Line Energy, a company developing interstate transmission lines to connect America’s best wind energy resources to market. Skelly founded the company with the vision to build game changing infrastructure projects that dramatically increase America’s supply of low-cost clean energy, while creating jobs and supporting communities.
Skelly has a track record of building effective teams and managing large-scale infrastructure projects from the development phase through construction and operation. Prior to founding Clean Line Energy, Skelly led the growth of Horizon Wind Energy from family ownership through acquisition by Goldman Sachs and ultimately ownership by EDP; the company is now one of the largest renewable energy companies in the world. During Skelly’s tenure at Horizon, the company originated a portfolio that today accounts for more than 4,000 megawatts of wind projects across the United States. These projects represent six billion dollars of investment and have created thousands of jobs.
Under Skelly’s leadership, Clean Line Energy negotiated a public-private partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy for the construction of the $2.5 billion Plains & Eastern high voltage direct current transmission line. Skelly has led the Clean Line team through successful siting and federal environmental review processes, hundreds of miles of right of way acquisition and strategic alliances with General Electric and numerous other suppliers.
Skelly holds a B.A. in economics from the University of Notre Dame and an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School. Nationally known as an energy industry leader, Skelly serves on the Board of the American Wind Energy Association. Skelly’s passion for linear infrastructure continues in his hometown of Houston where he serves on several civic boards active in creating 100 plus miles of trails along the city’s bayous and advocating to enhance transportation options. Skelly and his wife Anne live in Firehouse No. 2, a 1910 brick fire station which they recently restored in the East End of Houston.